Apply Now for Free and Reduced Price for School Meals Program
Solicite Ahora Comidas Gratis y Precios Reducidos en la Escuela
Forms, Instructions and Frequently asked questions: Free/Reduced Application English 2019-20
Solicitud, Instrucciones y Preguntas Frecuentes: Forma para Solicitar Comida Gratis/Precio Reducido 2019-20
Frequently Asked Questions:
When does my child eat lunch?
Grades K-4: LUNCH: 11:15 a.m. – 11:40 a.m. / RECESS: 11:40 a.m. – 12:04p.m.
Grades 5-8: RECESS: 11:15 a.m. – 11:40 a.m. / LUNCH: 11:40 a.m. – 12:04 p.m.
What lunch options are available to my child?
We offer one hot lunch option for the student, which meets the dietary guidelines and regulations. Milk is available with lunch and for students who bring their own lunch.
When must my child select his lunch option?
Hot lunch or milk should be ordered for the whole month or whole week at a time. If a child forgets to bring a cold lunch, they must let the office staff know by 8:30 a.m. so we can order a Hot Lunch for that student. This is required to ensure adequate portions of food are prepared.
How can I find out the balance of my child’s account and his or her purchase history?
Computerized lunch accounts are used to access the lunch program. The student’s Power School ID number is used to access the account. To make deposits to their account, please write a check to St. Thomas More with the Student name on the envelope and send to the school office.
My family qualified for free/reduced-priced meals last year. Do I need to do anything for this school year?
Yes, unless you have received an eligibility notification letter for direct certification every year a new application needs to be completed.
Students are grandfathered in from last year for the first thirty calendar days of the school year. To avoid disruption in your child’s status, a new application should be received in the district office by September 15.
If your financial status changes during the school year you may apply for free/reduced priced meals at any time.
Can a parent/guest have lunch with the children at school?
Yes, please contact the school office or Food Service Director by 8:30 a.m. if you wish to eat lunch with your child. We ask that you please do not bring fast food or pizza into the cafeteria.
What are the dietary guidelines?
The child nutrition program implemented new guidelines in meal nutrition standards. These changes ensure that meals are health, well-balanced and provide students the nutrition they need to be successful at school and educate them to develop healthy life-long eating habits.
The new standards include:
- Larger portions and greater variety of fruits and vegetables. Students are required daily to take 1/2 cup fruit or 1/2 cup vegetables with their lunches.
- A wider variety of vegetables that includes dark green, red/orange vegetables, and beans/legumes rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals that help students achieve and maintain optimal health/nutrition.
- Age appropriate calorie limits and portion sizes for managing and maintaining body weight and growth/development.
- Half of the grains (breads, pasta, rice cereal and other breakfast foods) offered to students will be whole grain rich.
- Milk offered to students will be fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free). Schools will also be required to limit the levels of saturated fat, sodium and trans fat in meals.
- Water will be accessible during lunch service to ensure students stay hydrated throughout the day and to encourage daily water consumption instead of high calorie beverage consumption.
Our meals don’t serve themselves. Come help us feed our kids!